Fifty Years Of Dissertations To Books
The following is a list of books from Berkeley sociology dissertations, organized by the author's year of graduation, and published between 1955 and 2007.
- Christine Carter McLaughlin. 2010. Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents. Ballantine Books.
- C.J. Pascoe, "Dude, You're a Fag": Sexuality and Masculinity in High School. University of California Press, 2007.
- Jennifer Jihye Chun. 2009. Organizing at the Margins: The Symbolic Politics of Labor in South Korea and the United States. Cornell University Press.
- Allison Janet Pugh. 2009. Longing and Belonging: Parents, Children, and Consumer Culture. University of California Press.
- Jennifer Dawn Sherman. 2009. Those Who Work, Those Who Don't: Poverty, Morality, and Family in Rural American. University of Minnesota Press.
- Amy Hanser. 2008. Service Encounters: Class, Gender, and the Market for Social Distinction in Urban China. Stanford University Press.
- Robyn Magalit Rodriguez. 2010. Migrants for Export: How the Philippine State Brokers Labor to the World. University of Minnesota Press.
- Jeffrey Jan Sallaz. 2009. The Labor of Luck: Casino Capitalism in the United States and South Africa. University of California Press.
- Michelle Annette Williams. 2008. The Roots of Participatory Democracy: Democratic Communists in South Africa and Kerala, India. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Millie Thayer. 2010. Making Transnational Feminism: Rural women, NGO Activists, and Northern Donors. Routledge.
- Amy Schalet, Raging Hormones, Regulated Love: Adolescent Sexuality and the Constitution of the Modern Individual in the United States and the Netherlands. University of Chicago Press, 2006.
- Rachel Sherman, Class Acts. University of California Press (forthcoming).
- Hung Thai, For Better or For Worse: marriage and migration in the new economy. Rutgers University Press (forthcoming).
- Isaac Martin, Tax Revolts and Welfare States (under review)
- Jianjun Zhang. 2008. Marketization and Democracy in China. Routledge.
- Anthony Chen. 2007. The Fifth Freedom: Jobs, Politics, and Civil Rights in the United States, 1941-1972. Princeton University Press.
- Teresa Gowan. 2010. Hobos, Hustlers, and Backsliders: Homeless in San Francisco. University of Minnesota Press.
- Carolyn Chen, Getting Saved in America: Taiwanese Immigrants Converting to Evangelical Christianity and Buddhism. Princeton University Press, 2006.
- Melissa Wilde, Contesting Catholicism: a sociological analysis of Vatican II. Princeton University Press, 2006.
- Elizabeth Bernstein. 2007. Temporarily Yours: Intimacy, Authenticity, and the Commerce of Sex. University of Chicago Press.
- Angelina Snodgrass Godoy. 2006. Popular Injustice: Violence, Community, and Law in Latin America. Stanford University Press.
- Joseph Martin Palacios. 2007. Catholic Social Imagination: Activism and the Just Society in Mexico and the United States. University of Chicago Press.
- Lisa Michele Stulbert. 2008. Race, Schools, and Hope: African Americans and School Choice after Brown. Teachers College Press.
- Eddy U. 2007. Disorganizing China: Counter-Bureaucracy and the Decline of Socialism. Stanford University Press.
- Sheba George, When Women Come First: Gender and Class in Transnational Migration; University of California Press, 2005.
- Andrew Perrin, Building the Democratic Imagination: how we think and talk about citizenship. University of Chicago (Under review).
- Leah Anne Carroll. forthcoming 2011. Violent Democratization: Social Movements, Elites, and Politics in Colombia's Rural War Zones, 1984-2008. University of Notre Dame Press.
- Colleen Kay Larimore (ed). 1997. First Person, First Peoples: Native American College Graduates Tell Their Life Stories. Cornell University Press. Co-editors include Andrew Garrod and Louise Erdrich.
- Shana Rebecca Cohen, Searching for a Different Future: the rise of a global middle class in Morocco. Duke University Press, 2004.
- Rodney Dean Benson, Bourdieu and the Journalistic Field. Polity Press, 2005.
- Steve Henry Lopez Reorganizing the Rust Belt: Social Movement Unionism and the SEIU in Pennsylvania. University of California Press, 2004.
- Russell Jeung, Faithful Generations; Rutgers University, 2004.
- Eric Klinenberg Heat Wave: social autopsy of disaster in Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2002.
- Laurie Schaffner, Teenage Runaways: Broken Hearts and "Bad Attitudes". The Haworth Press, 1999.
- Maren Klawiter. The Biopolitics of Breast Cancer: Changing Cultures of Diease and Activism.2008.
- Robert Bulman, Hollywood Goes to High School: cinema, schools, and American Culture; Worth Publishers, 2005.
- Carrie Gray Yang Costello, The Professional Identity Crisis: race, class, gender and success at professional schools; Vanderbilt University Press (forthcoming).
- Maria Cecilia MacDowell Dos Santos, Women's Police Stations: Gender, Violence, and Justice in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Palgrave MacMillan, 2005.
- Sean O'Riain, The Politics of High-Tech Growth: developmental networks and states in the global economy, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- James Ron, Frontier and Ghetto: State Violence in Bosnia and Israel. University of California Press, 2003.
- Rebecca Chiyoko King-O’Riain, Pure Beauty: Judging Race in Japanese American Beauty Pageants. University of Minnesota Press, 2006.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Forging Gay Identities: organizing sexuality in San Francisco, 1950-1994.University of Chicago, 2002.
- Nathan Scott Newman, Net Loss: Internet Prophets, Private Profits and the Cost to Community. Pennsylvania State University Press, 2002.
- Pamela Perry, Shades of White: white kids and racial identity in high school. Duke University, 2002.
- Jiannbin Lee Shiao, Identify Talent, Institutionalizing Diversity: race and philanthropy in post-civil rights America. Duke University Press, 2004.
- Leslie Salzinger, Genders In Production:Making Workers in Mexico's Global Factories. University of California Press, 2003.
- Daniel Dohan, The Price of Poverty: money, work, and culture in the Mexican-American Barrio. University of California Press, 2003.
- Eric Gordy, The Culture of Power in Serbia: Nationalism and Destruction of Alternatives. Pennsylvania University Press, 1999.
- Chris Romberg, No There There: Race, Class, and Political Community in Oakland. University of California Press, 2004.
- John Talbot, Grounds for Agreement: the political economy of the commodity coffee chain. Rowman and Littlefield, 2004.
- Douglas Guthrie, Dragon in a Three Piece Suit: The Emergence of Capitalism in China. Princeton University Press, 1999.
- Lynne Haney, Inventing the Needy:Gender and the Politics of Welfare in Hungary. University of California Press, 2002.
- Suava Salameh, Bitter Harvest: Antecedents and Consequences of Property Reform in Post-Socialist Poland. Rowman and Littlefield, (under contract).
- Jonathan Warren, Racial Revolutions: Antiracism and Indian Resurgence in Brazil (Latin America Otherwise) . Duke University Press, 2001.
- Richard Arum, The Structure of Schooling: Readings in the Sociology of Schooling. Mayfield Publishing Company, 1999.
- Philip Gorski, The Disciplinary Revolution: Calvinism, Confessionalization, and State Power in Early Modern Europe, University of Chicago Press, 2003
- Mona Younis, Liberation and Democratization: The South African and Palestinian National Movements. University of Minnesota Press, 2000.
- Ann Ferguson, Bad Boys: Public Schools in the Making of Black Masculinity. University of Michigan Press, 2000.
- Maxine Craig Leeds, Ain't I a Beauty Queen: Black Women, Beauty, and the Politics of Race. Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Richard Lawrence Wood, Faith in Action: Religion, Race, and Democratic Organization in America. University of Chicago Press, 2002.
- Robert Freeland, The Struggle for Control of the Modern Corporation: Organizational Change at General Motors, 1924-1970. Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Karla Brent Hackstaff, Marriage in a Culture of Divorce. Temple University Press, 1999.
- Patrick Heller, Labor and Development: Workers and The Transformation of Capitalism in Kerala, India. Cornell University Press, 1999.
- Richard Kaplan, Politics and the American Press:
The Rise of Objectivity, 1865-1920, was
published by Cambridge University Press in 2002.
- Ching-Kwan Lee, Gender and the South China Miracle: Two Worlds of Factory Women. University of California Press, 1998.
- Karin Martin, Puberty, Sexuality, and the Self: Girls and Boys at Adolescence. Routledge, 1996.
- Larry Shinagawa, Asian Pacific Americans. Prentice Hall, c1999.
- Sara Diamond, Roads to Dominion: Right-Wing Movements and Political Power in the United States. Guilford Publications, Inc., 1995.
- Nina Eliasoph, Avoiding Politics: How Americans Produce Apathy in Everyday Life. Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Steven Epstein, Impure Science: AIDS, Activism, and the Politics of Knowledge. University of California Press, 1996.
- Anita Garey, Weaving Work and Motherhood. Temple University Press, 1999.
- Oyeronke Oyewumi, The Invention of Women: Making an African Sense of Western Gender Discourses. University of Minnesota Press, c1997.
- Arlene Stein, Sex and Sensibility: Stories of a Lesbian Generation. University of California Press, c1997.
- Simonetta Falasca-Zamponi, Fascist Spectacle: The Aesthetics of Power in Mussolini's Italy. University of California Press, c1997.
- Josh Gamson, Claims to Fame: Celebrity in Contemporary America. University of California Press, c1994.
- Paul Lichterman, The Search for Political Community: American Activists Reinventing Commitment. Cambridge University Press, 1996.
- Arvind Rajagopal, Politics after Television: Hindu Nationalism and the Reshaping of the Public in India. Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- John Torpey, Intellectuals, Socialism, & Dissent: The East German Opposition & Its Legacy. University of Minnesota Press, 1995.
- Xiaowei Zang, Children of the Cultural Revolution: Family Life and Political Behavior in Mao's China. Westview Press, 2000.
- Martin Gilens, Why Americans Hate Welfare: Race, Media, & the Politics of Antipoverty Policy. University of Chicago Press, 1999.
- Johnson Wagona Makoba, Government Policy & Public Enterprise Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case Studies of Tanzania & Zambia, 1964-1984. The Edwin Mellen Press, 1998.
- Jennifer Pierce, Gender Trials: Emotional Lives in Contemporary Law Firms. University of California Press, 1995.
- Howard Pinderhughes, Race in the Hood: Conflict & Violence Among Urban Youth. University of Minnesota Press, 1997.
- Beth Roy, Some Trouble with Cows: Making Sense of Social Conflict. University of California Press, 1991.
- Lyn Spillman, Nation & Commemoration: Creating National Identities in the United States and Australia. Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Kim Hays, Practicing Virtues: Moral Traditions at Quaker & Military Boarding Schools. University of California Press, 1994.
- Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo, Gendered Transitions: Mexican Experiences of Immigration. University of California Press, 1994.
- Gay Seidman, Manufacturing Militance: Workers' Movements in Brazil and South Africa, 1970-1985. University of California Press, 1994.
- Gwo-Shyong Shieh, Boss Island: The Subcontracting Network & Micro-Entrepreneurship in Taiwan's Development. Peter Lang Publishing, Inc., 1992.
- Tom Wells, The War Within: America's Battle over Vietnam. University of California Press, 1994.
- Michele Dillon, Debating Divorce: Moral Conflict in Ireland. University Press of Kentucky, 1993.
- Karen V. Hansen, A Very Social Time: Crafting Community in Antebellum New England. University of California Press, 1994.
- Christian Joppke, Mobilizing Against Nuclear Energy: A Comparison of Germany and the United States. University of California Press, c1993.
- Kinuthia Macharia, Social and Political Dynamics of the Informal Economy in African cities: Nairobi and Harare. University Press of America, 1997.
- Pedro Noguera, The Imperatives of Power: Political Change and the Social Basis of Regime Support in Grenada from 1951-1991. P. Lang, 1997.
- Lois A. West, Militant Labor in the Philippines. Temple University Press, 1997.
- Richard Biernacki, The Fabrication of Labor: Germany and Britain, 1640-1914. University of California Press, 1995.
- Robert L. Brannon, Intensifying Care: The Hospital Industry, Professionalization, and the Reorganization of the Nursing Labor Process. Baywood Pub. Co. Inc., 1994.
- Steve Derné, Culture in Action: Family Life, Emotion, and Male Dominance in Banaras, India. State University of New York Press, 1995.
- Elisa "Linda" Facio, Understanding Older Chicanas. Sage Publications, c1996.
- John Foran, Fragile Resistance: Social Transformation in Iran from 1500 to the Revolution. Westview Press, 1993.
- James Jasper, Nuclear Politics: Energy and the State in the United States, Sweden and France. Princeton University Press, c1990.
- Paul Johnston, Success While Others Fail: Social Movement Unionism and the Public Workplace. Cornell University Press (ILR), 1994.
- Elaine Kaplan, Not Our Kind of Girl: Unraveling the Myths of Black Teenage Motherhood. University of California Press, c1997.
- Mark Lupher, Power Restructuring in China and Russia. Westview Press, 1996.
- Linda Blum, Between Feminism and Labor: The Significance of the Comparable Worth Movement. University of California Press, c1991.
- Andrea Lee Press, Women Watching Television: Gender, Class and Generation in the American Television Experience. University of Pennsylvania Press, c1991.
- Vicki Smith, Managing in the Corporate Interest: Control and Resistance in an American Bank. University of California Press, c1990.
- Judith Auerbach, In the Business of Child Care: Employer Initiatives and Working Women. Praeger Press, 1988.
- Tom Janoski, The Political Economy of Unemployment: Active Labor Market Policy in West Germany and the U.S. University of California Press, c1990.
- Kenneth H. Tucker, French Revolutionary Syndicalism and the Public Sphere. Cambridge University Press, 1996.
- Mary Waters, Ethnic Options: Choosing Identities in America. University of California Press, c1990.
- Christine Williams, Gender Differences at Work: Women and Men in Nontraditional Occupations. University of California Press, 1991.
- Marybeth F. Ayella, Insane Therapy: Portrait of a Psychotherapy Cult. Temple University Press, 1998.
- Elaine Draper, Risky Business: Genetic Testing and Exclusionary Practices in the Hazardous Workplace. Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- Linda Fuller, Work and Democracy in Socialist Cuba, Temple University Press, 1992.
- Steve Gold, Refugee Communities: A Comparative Field Study. Sage Publications, c1992.
- Michael A. Messner, Power at Play: Sports and the Problem of Masculinity. Beacon Press, c1992.
- Stacey Oliker, Best Friends and Marriage: Exchange Among Women. University of California Press, c1989.
- David Plotke, Building a Democratic Political Order: Reshaping American Liberalism in the 1930s and 1940s. Cambridge University Press, 1996.
- Ronald Weitzer, Transforming Settler States: Communal Conflict and Internal Security in Northern Ireland and Zimbabwe. University of California Press, c1990.
- Alison Evelyn Woodward, Social Ambitions: Planning for Community in Sweden and America. Uppsala universitet, 1987.
- Terry Arendell, Mothers and Divorce: Legal, Economic and Social Dilemmas. University of California Press, c1986.
- Alessandro Ferrara, Modernity and Authenticity: A Study in the Social and Ethical Thought of Jean-Jacques Rousseau. State University of New York, 1993.
- Jeffrey Haydu, Between Craft and Class: Skilled Workers and Factory Politics in the U.S. and Britain, 1890-1922. University of California Press, c1988.
- Annette Lareau, Home Advantage: Social Class and Parental Intervention in Elementary Education. Falmer Press, 1989.
- Barbara Owen, The Reproduction of Social Control: A Study of Prison Workers at San Quentin. Praeger Publishers, 1988.
- Gary Delgado, Organizing the Movement: The Roots of ACORN. Temple University Press, 1986.
- Doris Fine, When Leadership Fails: Desegregation and demoralization in the San Francisco Schools. Transaction Books, c1986.
- Anita Weiss, Culture, Class and Development in Pakistan: The Emergence of an Industrial Bourgeoisie in Punjab. Westview Press, 1991.
- Sydney A. Halpern, American Pediatrics: The Social Dynamics of Professionalism, 1880-1980. University of California Press, c1988.
- Nicole Biggart, Governor Reagan, Governor Brown: A Sociology of Executive Power (with Gary Hamilton). Columbia University Press, 1984.
- John Dombrink, The Last Resort: Success and Failure in Campaigns for Casinos (with William Norman Thompson). University of Nevada Press, 1990.
- Jiannis Gabriel, Freud and Society. Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1983.
- Kathleen Gerson, Hard Choices: How Women Decide about Work, Career, and Motherhood. University of California Press, c1985.
- Robert Max Jackson, The Formation of Craft Labor Markets. Academic Press, 1984.
- Michael Kimmel, Absolutism and Discontents: State and Society in Seventeenth-Century France and England. Transaction, c1988.
- Ruth Milkman, Gender at Work: The Dynamics of Job Segregation by Sex During World War II. University of Illinois Press, c1987.
- Robert Bell, The Culture of Policy Deliberations. Rutgers University Press, c1985.
- Jack Bloom, Class, Race, and the Civil Rights Movement. Indiana University Press, c1987.
- Mary Anna Culleton Colwell, Private Foundations and Public Policy: The Political Role of Philanthropy. Garland Pub., 1993.
- Juan Gonzales, Mexican-American Farm Workers: The California Agricultural Industry. Praeger, c1985.
- David Hummon, Commonplaces: Community Ideology and Identity in American Culture. SUNY Press, c1990.
- Marilyn Little, Family Breakup: Understanding Marital Patterns and the Mediating of Child Custody Decisions. Jossey-Bass, 1982.
- David Milton, The Politics of U.S. Labor: From the Great Depression to the New Deal. Monthly Review Press, c1982.
- Ida R. Mukenge, The Black Church in Urban America. University Press of America, c1983.
- Mary Ruggie, The State and Working Women: A comparative Study of Britain and Sweden. Princeton University Press, c1984.
- Jerry Sanders, Peddlers of Crisis: The Committee on the Present Danger and The Politics of Containment. South end Press, c1983.
- Steven Schneider, The Oil Price Revolution. Johns Hopkins,
- Philip Armour, The Cycles of Reform: Community Mental Health Legislation in the United States, England, and Sweden. University Press of America, c1981.
- Stephen Hart, What Does the Lord Require?: How American Christians Think About Economic Justice. Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Jerome Himmelstein, The Strange Career of Marihuana: Politics and Ideology of Drug Control in America. Greenwood, 1983.
- Timothy McDaniel, Autocracy, Capitalism, and Revolution in Russia. University of California Press, c1988.
- Jeffrey C. Alexander, Theoretical Logic in Sociology. Four Volumes. University of California Press, c1982-83.
- James Beniger, Trafficking in Drug Users: Professional Exchange Networks in the Control of Deviance. Cambridge University Press, 1983.
- Carlos A. Hasenbalg, Discriminacao E Desiguialdades Raciasis no Brasil (Racial Discrimination and Inequality in Brazil), Graal, Rio de Janiero, 1979.
- Jeffrey Prager, Building Democracy in Ireland: Political Order and Cultural Integration in a Newly Independent Nation. Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- Richard M. Coughlin, Ideology, Public Opinion, and Welfare Policy: Attitudes Toward Taxes and Spending in Industrialized Societies. Institute of International Studies, University of California, c1980.
- Todd Gitlin, The Whole World is Watching: Mass Media in the Making and Unmaking of the New Left. University of California Press, c1980.
- Gail A. Kligman, Calus: Symbolic Transformation in Romanian Ritual. University of Chicago Press, 1981.
- Pamela J. Utz, Settling the Facts: Discretion and Negotiation in Criminal Court. Lexington Books, 1978.
- Richard Weisman, Witchcraft, Magic, and Religion in 17th Century Massachusetts. University of Massachusetts Press, 1984.
- Mark G. Baldassare, Residential Crowding in Urban America. University of California Press, c1979.
- Jeffrey Blum, Pseudoscience and Mental Ability: The Origins and Falacies of the IQ Controversy. Monthly Review Press, c1978.
- Guillermo Boza, Estructura y Cambio en Venezuela Republicana: El Período Independentista. Equinoccio Editorial de la Universidad Simón Bolívar, 1979.
- Donald J. Hernandez, Success or Failure?: Family planning programs in the Third World. Greenwood Press, 1984.
- Gini Scott, Cult and Countercult: A Study of a Spritual Growth Group and a Witchcraft Order. Greenwood Press, 1980.
- Fernando Uricoechea, Patrimonial Foundations of the Brazilian Bureaucratic State. University of California press, c1980. (Brazilian edition 1978.)
- Erik Olin Wright, Class Structure and Income Determination. Academic Press, c1979.
- Richard A. Apostle, The Anatomy of Racial Attitudes (with C. Glock et al.), University of California Press, c1983.
- Hardy T. Frye, Black Parties and Political Power. G.K. Hall, c1980.
- Barbara (Ballis) Lal, The Romance of Culture in An Urban Civilization: robert E. Park on Race and Ethnic Relations in Cities. Routledge, 1990.
- Carl Milofsky, Special Education: A Sociological Study of California Programs. Praeger, 1976.
- Irwin Joel Sperber, Fashions in Science: Opinion Leaders and Collective Behavior in the Social Sciences. University of Minnesota Press, c1990.
- Ann Swidler, Organization Without Authority: Dilemmas of Social Control in Free Schools. Harvard University Press, 1979.
- Jean-Guy B. Vaillancourt, Papal Power: A Study of Vatican Control Over Lay Catholic Elites. University of California Press, c1980.
- Robert E. Wood, From Marshall Plan to Debt Crisis: Foreign Aid and Development Choices in the World Economy. University of California Press, c1986.
- Robert J. Wuthnow, The Consciousness Reformation. University of California Press, c1976.
- Fred L. Block, The Origins of International Economic Disorder: A Study of United States International Monetary Policy from World War II to the Present. University of California Press. 1978, c1977.
- Wenhui Cai, Patterns of Political Elite Mobility in Modern China, 1912-1949. Chinese Materials Center, 1983.
- John Aloysius Coleman, The Evolution of Dutch Catholicism, 1958-1974. University of California, 1978.
- John Fernandez, Black Managers in White Corporations. Wiley, 1975.
- Carole Joffe, Friendly Intruders: Childcare Professionals and Family Life. University of California Press, c1977.
- Magali Sarfatti Larson, The Rise of Professionalism: A Sociological Analysis. University of California Press, c1977.
- Hans-Eberhard Mueller, Bureaucracy, Education, and Monopoly: Civil Service Reforms in Prussia and England. University of California Press, c1984.
- Jeffrey Schevitz, The Weaponsmakers: Personal and Professional Crisis During the Vietnam War. Schenkman Pub. Co., 1979.
- Will D. Tate, The New Black Urban Elites. R & E Research Associates, 1976.
- David Wellman, Portraits of White Racism. Cambridge University Press, 1993, 1977.
- Jeffrey Berlant, Profession and Monopoly. University of California Press, c1975.
- Gail Omvedt, Cultural Revolt in a Colonial Society: the Non Brahman Movement in Western India, 1873 to 1930. Scientific Socialist Education Trust, 1976.
- Richard Roman, Ideología y Clase en la Revolución Mexicana: La Convención y el Congreso Constituyente. Secretaría de Educación Pública, 1976.
- Ortiz Walton, Music: Black, White and Blue. Wm. Morrow, 1972.
- James L. Wood, Political Consciousness and Student Activism. Sage Publications, 1974.
- Carlo Caldarola, Christianity, the Japanese Way. Brill, 1979.
- Elbaki Hermassi, Leadership and National Development in North Africa: A Comparative Study. University of California Press, 1972.
- Mary Haywood Metz, Classrooms and Corridors: The Crisis of Authority in Desegregated Secondary Schools. University of California Press, 1978.
- Lillian B. Rubin, Busing and Backlash: White Against White in an Urban School District. University of California Press, 1972.
- Rodney Stark, Policy Riots: Collective Violence and Law Enforcement. Wadsworth Company, 1972.
- Stephen Steinberg, The Academic Melting Pot. Carnegie Commission Series of Higher Education, McGraw Hill, 1977, c1974.
- Christopher Beattie, Minority Men in a Majority Setting: Middle-level Francophones in the Canadian Public Service. McClelland and Stewart, 1975.
- Whitney Pope, Durkheim's Suicide: A Classic Analysis. University of Chicago Press, 1982, 1976.
- Robert D. Retherford, The Changing Sex Differential in Mortality. Greenwood Press, 1975.
- Nadia Haggag Youssef, Women and Work in Developing Societies. Greenwood Press, 1976.
- Safouh Akhrass, Revolutionary Change and Modernization in the Arab World: a case from Syria. Atlas, 1972.
- Earl Babbie, Science and Morality in Medicine: A Survey of Medical Educators. University of California Press, 1970.
- Harry Brill, Why Organizers Fail: The Story of a Rent Strike. University of California Press, 1971.
- Randall Collins, The Credential Society: An Historical Sociology of Education and Stratification. Academic Press, 1979.
- Shirley Foster Harley, Illegitimacy. University of California Press, 1975.
- Arlie Russell Hochschild, The Unexpected Community. Prentice-Hall, 1973; University of California Press, 1978.
- Ivan Hubert Light, Ethnic Enterprise in America: Business and Welfare among Chinese, Japanese, and Blacks. University of California Press, 1972.
- Arthur Lipow, Authoritarian Socialism in America: Edward Bellamy and the Nationalist Movement. University of California Press, 1982.
- Mike Otten, University Authority and the Students. University of California Press, 1970.
- Harriet B. Presser, Sterilization and Fertility Decline in Puerto Rico. Population Monograph 13. Institute of International Studies, U.C. Berkeley, 1973. Reprinted by Greenwood Press, 1976.
- Kenneth N. Walker, Latin American University Students: A Six Nation Study (with Arthur Liebman, and Myron Glazer). Harvard University Press, 1972.
- Travis Hirschi, Causes of Delinquency. University of California Press, 1969.
- Mely G. Tan, The Chinese in the United States: Social Mobility and Assimilation. Orient Cultural Service, 1971.
- Jacqueline P. Wiseman, The Stations of the Lost: The Treatment of Skid Row Alcoholics. Prentice Hall, 1970; University of Chicago Press, 1979.
- Max Heirich, The Spiral of Conflict: Berkeley, 1964. Columbia University Press, 1971.
- Arthur Liebman, The Politics of Puerto Rican University Students. University of Texas Press, 1970.
- Gary T. Marx, Protest and Prejudice: A Study of Belief in the Black Community. Harper & Row, 1967.
- David O. Arnold, The Sociology of Subcultures. Glendessary Press, 1970.
- Paul Blumberg, Industrial Democracy: The Sociology of Participation. Constable Publisher, c1968. Schocken Books, 1973.
- Philippe Nonet, Administrative Justice: Advocacy and Change in a Government Agency. Russell Sage Foundation, 1969.
- Valerie Kincade Oppenheimer, The Female Labor Force in the United States: Demographic and Economic Factors Governing its Growth and Changing Composition. Greenwood Press, 1976.
- Marvin B. Scott, The Racing Game. Aldine Pub. Co., 1968.
- David Sudnow, Passing On: The Social Organization of Dying. Prentice-Hall, 1967.
- Sherri Cavan, Liquor License: An Ethnography of Bar Behavior. Andine, 1966.
- O. Andrew Collver, Birth Rates in Latin America: New Estimates of Historical Trends and Fluctuations. Institute of International Studies, University of California, 1965.
- George A. Huaco, The Sociology of Film Art. Basic Books, 1965.
- John Lofland, Doomsday Cult: A Study of Conversion, Missionizing and Maintenance of Faith. Prentice Hall, 1966.
- William H. Friedland, Vuta Kamba: The Development of Trade Unions in Tanganyika. Hoover Institution Press, 1969.
- Warren Hagstrom, The Scientific Community. Basic Books, 1965.
- Gianfranco Poggi, Catholic Action in Italy: The Sociology of a Sponsored Organization. Stanford University Press, 1967.
- Bob Blauner, Alienation and Freedom: The Factory Worker and his Industry. University of Chicago Press, 1964.
- Ritchie P. Lowry, Who's Running This Town? Community leadership and Social Change. Harper & Row, 1968, 1965.
- Samuel J. Surace, Ideology, Economic Change, and The Working Classes. University of California Press, 1966.
- Robert Alford, Party and Society. Rand McNalley, 1963.
- Irving Krauss, Stratification, Class, and Conflict. Free Press, 1976.
- Stanford M. Lyman, Chinatown and Little Tokyo: Power, Conflict, and Community Among Chinese and Japanese Immigrants in America. Associated Faculty Press of New York City, 1986.
- Guenther Roth, The Social Democrats in Imperial Germany. Bedminster Press, 1963; reissued in series Perennial Works in Sociology. Arno Press, 1979.
- Arthur Stinchcombe, Rebellion in a High School. Chicago, Quadrangle Books, 1964.
- Ida R. Hoos, Automation in the Office. Public Affairs Press, 1961.
- Howard M. Vollmer, Employee Rights and the Employment Relationship. University of California Press, 1960.
- Bennett M. Berger, Working-Class Suburb: A Study of Auto Workers in Suburbia. University of California Press, 1960.
- Amitai Etzioni, The Organizational Structure of the Kibbutz, Arno Press, 1980.
- César Graña, Bohemian versus Bourgeois: French Society and the French Man of Letters in the Nineteenth Century. Basic Books, 1964.
- Jelle C. Riemersma, Religious Factors in Early Dutch Capitalism 1550-1650. Mouton, 1967.
Prepared by Jean Margolis, Judy Haier, Michelle Williams, Jonathan VanAntwerpen, and Michael Burawoy.