Transfer Student Information


Welcome to Cal!  We know that the transition from a community college to Cal is a big one, and that you are likely to have a whole host of questions.  We hope that the information on these web pages will help you, and we strongly encourage you to attend a CalSO Orientation for New Transfer Students.  You should also feel free to contact an Undergraduate Advisor at any point during your transition.

Transferring Pre-reqs.  For information about transferring credits from a community college, please visit

Steps to Declare.  Even though you told Cal you plan to major in Sociology, you still must go through the declaration process to officially declare your major.  To declare, you must have the last of your three pre-requisites in progress.  For more information and the paperwork needed to declare, please see Declaring the Major.

Suggested Courses for New Transfer Students.

Soc 5 - Many new transfers have not taken the prerequisite Sociology 5, since it is not offered at many community colleges. If you haven't taken Soc 5 yet, it is highly recommended that you take it your first semester at CAL. It is best to enroll in it during Phase I, as it sometimes fills up in Phase II. 

Soc 191 - This is a 1-unit class, P/NP, designed to familiarize students with the sociology faculty and their various research projects. Each week a different professor comes in to talk to the class. This is an excellent way to get to know the faculty in our department and is highly recommended for new transfer students. 

Soc 101 - If you would like to take the theory sequence in your junior year, please follow the instructions for enrollment and consult with the undergraduate advisors for questions. 

1 or 2 Upper Division Soc Courses - Most any upper division sociology course you take at Cal will satisfy one of the major requirements.  We recommend reading the Sociology Course Descriptions and choosing courses that sound very interesting to you.