4. Schedule Planning

First Semester Schedule Planning 

1) Enroll in any final pre-requisites (most junior transfers need to enroll in Sociology 5 as it is not offered at many community colleges).

2) Please click here for sample first semester schedules.

*For course descriptions for Sociology courses, please go to classes.berkeley.edu

               **you can filter for specific Sociology requirements on the class schedule by following these instructions

*If you want to look at a syllabus for previously offered Sociology courses, please click here

*If you want to enroll in Sociology 101, you will first need to be declared. This may mean enrolling in your final pre-req's, submitting your major declaration form, waiting until you are declared, and then enrolling in Sociology 101.

3) Sociology Major Sheet--- you can use this blank sheet to help plan your semesters and guide you towards completing the major. 



Common requirements for junior transfers with IGETC who are in the College of Letters and Science :

1) American Cultures (if not satisfied at community college) – This requirement may be satisfied with a major course such as Soc 111AC, 130AC, (which are also considered Sociology Major Electives), or it can be fulfilled with an American Cultures (AC) course from a different department.

2) Students are required to take at least 6 units of upper division (courses numbered 100-199) units outside of their major. 

3) Minimum of 120 Units required to graduate (includes units transferred from community college and the units to be completed from UCB).


Common questions about schedule planning:

1) Is there a specific time or day that I can start enrolling?

Yes, please click here to find out more information. 


2) How many units do I need to enroll in to be considered full time?

The College of Letters and Science requires that every student be enrolled in 13 units to be considered full time. Students are eligible for a reduced course load if they are parents, registered through the Disabled Students Programwork and for other approved reasons. Please note that if you take a reduced course load, your financial aid may be affected, and it is best to consult with an adviser at Cal Student Central


3) I need just one more unit to be considered full time. Where do I find one more unit?

*Berkeley Connect 

*Education 198- Transitioning to Cal: An Introduction to the Research University 

*DeCal Program--DeCals are uploaded as they are approved. .


4) In the sample schedules,  you recommended courses oustide of the Department of Sociology. Why? How do I pick which course to take? Will I get into courses outside of Sociology?

The College of Letters and Science requires that you complete a minimum of 6 units, that are upper division (courses numbered 100-199) outside of your declared major. This is a great opportunity to explore different majors, different departments, different perspectives, to meet students in other departments, etc. You should pick courses that are interesting to you and that you can enroll in. There are some departments in which it is harder to enroll in their courses because the major is impacted. However, there are plenty of incredibly interesting and amazing courses that will allow any student from any major to enroll. Please note that DeCals can count towards this requirement. 


More helpful information:

*What is the difference between a lecture and discussion? Please click here

*What is the difference between a lower division course and an upper division course? Please click here

*I'm interested in these two courses, but one ends at 10:59am and the other starts at 11am. Can I still take both courses? what is Berkeley Time? Please click here

*I am interested in double majoring or picking up a minor. Where do I find more information? Please click here

*I want to study abroad. Where do I start? Please visit Berkeley Study Abroad's website.